I'll frame a deck around the jacuzzi. The frame will then be covered with plywood and cement board in preparation for the tile.
Here's the future home for the shower.
I've removed all the backerboard because we want to increase the structural support and replace with cement board.
The open area in the left wall is where the sliding door is located. It's hard to beef up this wall but it can be done with a sheet of plywood and a few 2"x4"s. I'll also cover the plywood with cement board.
The ceiling also requires added support for the new backerboard.
The extra 2"x4"s and blocking are added.
5/8" plywood has been used to stiffen the wall of the sliding door.
I've installed 3 layers of 2"x4"s in preparation for a mortar bed curb.
The deck frame is complete.
There will be two access panels (one at each end) ... one for the pump and one for the plumbing.
We've figured out the shape of the seat.
Poly and lath are attached in preparation for the pre-sloped mortar bed.
The pre-sloped mortar bed and the seat rough-in are complete.
The liner has been installed and the bottom sheets of cement board have been added.
We're using deck screws and carpenter's glue to bond the plywood.
Mortar is spread onto the plywood before setting the cement board into place.
Screws are also used.
I've temporarily placed 2 pieces of plywood scraps to act as a screed for the mortar bed on top of the seat.
I'm going to waterproof the finished mud work using Schluter's Kerdi membrane for the seat and extended a short distance up the walls and floor area. The other areas (walls and floor) will have RedGuard waterproofing applied.
For this seat I've increased the slope a little more than what I normally use.
You can see that I've already installed the cement board on this section of the jacuzzi deck so that it can act as a screed. It's also important that the mud bed height begins flush with the cement board.
Here's a close-up which shows the bubble location for the slope I've made.
Usually the bubble is half in and half out of the center mark ... this one is almost all the way out.
Screeding and packing the mortar bed.
The mortar bed is complete on both the top of the seat and shower floor. Next is the mud work for the curb and seat face.
I'm not going to install cement board onto the face of the deck until I know exactly where the tiles will line up in relation to the access panels.
I'm finishing off the mud-work with the curb.
This is the way a shower pan should be constructed.
The next and final step before setting the tile is to waterproof.
I've used RedGuard liquid waterproof membrane for all areas except the bench.
Kerdi waterproof membrane has been used for the bench area. I used kerdi on the bench because as you can see in the previous photos, I didn't bring the liner up over the bench and I needed to be absolutely certain it was waterproofed .... Kerdi gives me that extra assurance.
This gives you an idea where I'm going with this project, the next photo will be a completed job.